I want to list all the Gods of Europeic contemporary civilization’s Pantheon.
We do not believe in Javeh anymore, we do not believe in Zeus, or Odin or any of those, but we do still have Gods. And we aren’t even monotheist…
But making this census is a delicate prospect. It is hard to say exactly “What is a God?” so i am progressing with caution.
My basic criteria for identifying Gods are still sketchy, but it can go as follows:
- Gods are anthropomorphized entities, they have opinions, they act, they determine the development of history, they have whims and desires
- Gods must be part of an ontological explanation of the world, that is, their action must be considered evident in itself
- Gods must have authority over the whole of reality, or at least be seen as controlling the main parts of reality — there are some Gods of specificities but let’s call them Minor Gods
My first research attempts have pinpointed just three Gods, but i am certain there is more. There are some other Demigods who would be obviously sons of those major entities, but for now i will not focus on them. So, my present compilation includes:
- Who makes everyone sell himself, who makes everyone have it’s price.
- Who is stronger than any force.
- Who deigns what is real and what is superstition.
And i’d like to present another list, reordered and reformatted, that has been contributed by reader Kip Hulse in the comments bellow:
- Don’t have a name for her (or him). In this Era, this is one of the single most important gods.
- The Ghost in the Machine
- Has many other names as well. God of electronic technology.
- She’s an easy one. We even build statues of her.
- Father Time
- Here’s one that comes very close to the overarching archetype you suggested, actually. God of… well, time.
- Mother Nature
- Ditto with father time. Very Major goddess. Especially for the Environmentalists.
- The Earth, or Gaea
- NOT the same as Mother Nature, though often confused with her. The difference is that the Earth is the planet we live on. Mother Nature is life and other natural phenomenon.
- The Flying Spaghetti Monster
- Atheism. Oh, what, you don’t think Atheism is a god? The way many atheists act, if he isn’t yet he soon will be. And what better personification to use than the form atheists themselves have given him? ;)
- For that matter, art in general is a goddess (probably a goddess).
- The Muses
- The Muses I mentioned previously are alive and well and major stuff in modern times. In fact, there’s more of them now. One for every art or science.
- Uncle Sam
- Irrelevant to non-USA people of course. He’s what the Roman’s would term a ‘Genius’. That is, a spiritual manifestation of a group of people, community, or nation. Every nation has it’s own, and it represents the people as a whole, the Government, and so forth of that nation. Form of worship is patriotism (obviously).
- The Grim Reaper
- Death. There is some evidence that the old Grim Reaper has retired and been replaced by a female Grim Reaper.
- The Sandman
- Sleep and dreams.